Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Punya Tithi - Sant Amar Singh ji Patiala... Blissful Memories


Today is the 44th Death Anniversary of Sant Amar Singh Ji of Patiala - whom we all lovingly called 'Pita ji.

I was fortunate to have the privilege to spend a few years under his guidance during my youth. 
He was one of the greatest Saints I met - who, along with Bhapa Ram Chand ji, shaped my life and ideology - my thought process.
We often talked about his simplicity and honesty among other fellow devotees - that he always thought of others - of their welfare before his own comforts.
I want to share one such incident that shows his way of thinking - how he was always considerate of others.

One day, Pita ji had to go to an office for some work for the Mission. 
His eldest son Harwant Singh - who was also going to accompany him, said: 
"Pita ji! this office is a little too far. Let me get a rickshaw."
"No - we will walk". Pita ji said.
Harwant Singh argued: Going on a rickshaw would be more comfortable for you - otherwise, you will get too tired if you walk that far. I know you are concerned about spending the Namaskar money - but it would not cost much - only one rupee.

Incidentally, Pita ji saw a famous Halwaayi making fresh Samosas at his shop by the roadside.
He said, "Son! See that man making fresh samosas? 
Doesn't the smell of these fresh, delicious samosas make your mouth watery? 
Who would not want to spend a rupee or two to satisfy this urge of their heart to eat a few samosas? 
But a poor devotee Gursikh kills his desire. 
Instead of eating samosas, he saves that rupee to do namaskar in the Sangat. 
Now, would it be fair to spend that rupee just for the sake of my own little comfort? 
No... my conscious does not allow me to do this ... my heart trembles. 
So, let us walk, son – as long as I can".
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was just one incident of many where he taught us practically - and set the example by personally living the ideology he preached. Many salutations to such a great soul.
May we also follow in his footsteps and live a simple, honest life - without pomp and show and be considerate of others. 
                                               " Rajan Sachdeva "




12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a valuable lesson from his life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skattar Sandhu
    I am impressed with the life of pita ji. I have a few memories which have shaped my life๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pita ji was a soul that influenced so many souls. Although very young I do remember when we went to Patiala during our summer vacation we would attend Satsang and at times be graced with his love after Satsang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pita Amar Singh ji was really a pure soul and a great saint. May we follow their footsteps in life. ๐Ÿ™
    jaidev

    ReplyDelete
  5. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

    ReplyDelete
  6. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ™‡‍♂️๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dr Rajan ji sharing
    life of pujya Pita ji. He was great parcharak of SNM setting example to others. I still remember his visit to our colony in early 70 . He was popular as sher-e-Punjab in our town. All citizens in our colony were impressed
    by his vichar on Guru Granth Sahib

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great saint with pure soul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Saint ....Thanks for share
    Ashok

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dhan Nirankar ji. Thank you ji for sharing๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

    ReplyDelete

Itnay Betaab kyon hain - Why so much restlessness?

 Itnay betaab - itnay beqaraar kyon hain  Log z aroorat say zyaada hoshyaar  kyon hain  Moonh pay to sabhi dost hain lekin Peeth peechhay d...