Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Then What?

I read the following story in a book during my youth - which had a great impact on me:......

On May 31, 1893, Swami Vivekanand went to United States of America on a ship named SS. Peninsular from Bombay. After sailing for about two months through Colombo, Singapore, Hong Kong, Nagasaki, Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Kobe and Yokohoma, the ship arrived in Vancouver on July 25. 
From Vancouver, he took a train to Chicago.
During this two months long journey, the dynamic personality of Swami ji in the orange robe and a turban - with the look of a great confidence and a blissful peace on his face - got lot of people attracted towards him. People used to gather around him to listen to his sermons, ask questions or just to be in his serene company. 

There was a young Indian boy also aboard the ship. Somehow, Swami ji got a feeling that the young man was always trying to avoid coming in contact with him. Swami ji watched him quietly for few days. 
One day, while walking through the corridors, the boy took a turn and suddenly found himself facing Swami ji, who was coming from the other side.
Swami ji stopped and started a conversation with him.
“How are you young man? Where are you going?” Swami ji asked.
“Sir! I am going to Chicago.” The young man replied.
“What brings you to Chicago?”
“I am going for studies.”
“Good. When you finish your education, then what?” Swami ji asked.
“I will get a job and try to save some money.” The boy replied.
“Then what?” Swami ji asked.
“If I get enough money saved then I will go for higher studies – post graduation”
“Then what?”
“Then I will get a better job of course.”
“Then what?” 
“Once I am settled and have a good and steady job, I will get married.”
“Then What?”
The young man started to get somewhat irritated by now. 
“Then we both will work, save some money and buy a house.” He said.
“Then What?” 
The boy thought for a moment and said “We will have children.”
“And Then what?”
“What do you mean ‘Then what”. The young man was really irritated by now.
“Please tell me. What will you do after you have children?”
“We will try to raise them with love and care and try to provide them good education.”
Swami ji asked “Then what?”
With a changed tone and a raised voice, the boy said:
“They will grow up and after getting their degrees, they will start working.” 
“Then what?”
“Then we will retire and probably move back to India.” The boy replied in a little harsh tone.
“Then what?” Swami ji repeated the same question.
“What is this?” The boy shouted back. 
“Then someday I will die – what else?” 

Swami ji clapped his hands and laughed.
“Oh… OK. I got it now. You are going to Chicago – doing all these things like studying, getting a job, saving money, getting married and having children and raising them – buying a house and retiring… You are doing 
all these things so that someday you can die? Is that your real purpose?.... Dying?”
The young man had no answer. 
His face turned pale - his hands and feet started to shake a little.
He thought – “Swami ji is right. Is this all there is to life? 
No…. it can’t be.
Then what?
Then what is my real purpose after all?”

After reading this story – I thought:
               Do I know the answer?
                           Do we all know what our real purpose is? 
                                       ‘Rajan Sachdeva’

5 comments:

  1. I love this story
    Especially when you said in your vichaar in DC
    Thank you ji
    Aman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I heard it from you during your vichar in Jammu few years ago. Thank you for reminding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story uncle ji.

    Mandheer Wadhwa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this story in my very early Teens when I was studying in DAV school Hoshiarpur and it totally changed my thoughts and life.
    Thanks a lot for reminding me. ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete

Reason for Suffering

We suffer because we think -  that things should be different than what they are. However, every time, everything may not happen the way we ...