Thursday, April 19, 2018

Reply to a comment on "Koi chaahay kuchh kahay - When the mind goes into silence"

This morning, I received the following message:
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Koi chaahay kuchh kahay - When the mind goes into ...": 

"Yes, it is very hard to stay silent when talked to in a condescending way. If I am sometimes able to restrain my mouth, but turbulence in mind takes a lifetime to pass. 

On the light side, when I try to be silent, people often ask, "Why are you quiet?". Can't one just be silent without having to explain why?! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are absolutely right. It is comparatively much easier to keep the mouth shut - to restrain the tongue, but silencing the mind is altogether a different game - and a very difficult one. 
And silencing the mind is what really counts. With meditation and practice, one can gradually learn how to silence the mind for short durations. However, only a turbulence free mind (if not silent) can enjoy the peace and bliss.

The second part of your comment reminded me of a famous quote that I so often heard from the elders during my childhood and youth. I don't know the authenticity of it but nonetheless, it was quite popular and was quoted quite often in those days.
The saying goes like this:
          Je bolaan tan aakhday bad bad kare bahatt
          Je chup rahaan tan aakhday is ghat naahin matt
         Je beh rahaan tan aakhday baitha satthar ghat
         Je uth chalaan tan aakhday chhaar gya sir ghat
         Je nivaan tan aakhday dardaa karay bhagat
         Kaai gallin na memani - mai kitthay kadhaan jhatt
         Ethay othay 'Nanakaa' Kartaa-ee- rakhay patt

Meaning:
If I speak - they say he talks too much (he is obnoxious)
If I keep quiet - they say he doesn't know anything (he is stupid)
If I stay; keep sitting - they say he is thinking of a tactic how to strike
If I leave - they say he is afraid and embarrassed of being  looser 
if I show humility - by being humble and polite - they say he is weak and scared
No matter what I do, they can’t be pleased - I don't know where to go - what to do
Here and there - Says Nanak - may the Lord help me keep my dignity.

           जे बोलां तां आखदे बड़ बड़ करे बहत्त 
           जे चुप रहां तां आखदे इस घट नाहीं मत्त 
           जे बह रहां तां आखदे बैठा सत्थर घत्त 
          जे उठ चलां तां आखदे छार गया सिर घत्त 
          जे निवां तां आखदे डरदा  करे भगत्त 
          काई गल्लीं ना मेमनी मैं कित्थे कढां झट्ट 
          एथे ओथे नानका कर्ता ई रखे पत्त 


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No it’s not. That’s why I said I don’t know it’s authenticity

      Delete
  2. Focus on an object or breathing (with your eyes closed) when you start meditative practice . Later, you can perform other types of meditation, such as the "body scanner" or sound-focused meditation.

    ReplyDelete

Reason for Suffering

We suffer because we think -  that things should be different than what they are. However, every time, everything may not happen the way we ...