Friday, February 23, 2018

Self Appraisal

A little boy went to a telephone booth which was next to the cash counter inside a store and dialed a number.
The store-owner, who was standing by,​observed and listened to the conversation.

Boy: “Ma’am, Can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?
Lady: (at the other end of the phone line) “I already have someone to cut my lawn.”
Boy: “Ma’am, I will cut your lawn for half the price than the person who cuts your lawn now.”
Lady: I’m very satisfied with the person who is presently cutting my lawn.
Boy: (with more perseverance) “Ma’am, I’ll even sweep the floor of your house for free.
Lady: No, thank you. I am very happy with my current service.

With a smile on his face, the little boy ended the call.  
The store-owner, who was listening to the conversation, walked over to the boy and said, “Son, I like your attitude. I like your positive spirit and persuasiveness. I would like to offer you a job.”
Boy: “No thanks.
Store Owner: But you were really pleading to get the job.
Boy: No Sir, I was just checking my performance at the job I already have.
    I am the one who is working for that lady I was talking to!” 

                        * This is called self-appraisal*

This story reminds me of some of the great kings in the old Indian history, who occasionally used to go in public areas disguised as ordinary people to see if the common people of their kingdom were happy and satisfied under their rule. They would meet especially with poor farmers and laborers to learn how as a ruler they could help improve their situation. Often, they would send their trusted ministers and advisers to do the same, who would bring an honest report back to the king.
These great kings, were not just the rulers. They genuinely tried to fulfill their responsibility of improving the lives of their subjects and general conditions of their kingdom. 

The purpose of the power is to fulfill certain responsibilities.
Great are the people who, after achieving power, do not forget their responsibilities. 
Give your best and the world will respect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Singing Qawalis on someone's grave - Kisi ki qabr par qawaliyon say kuchh nahin hoga

Na hon Paisay to istaqbaaliyon say kuchh nahin hoga  Kisi Shaayar ka khaali Taaliyon say kuchh nahin hoga  Nikal aayi hai un kay pait say pa...