Saturday, March 30, 2019

Farewell to Imma

We meet many people in our lifetime. Some just come and go, and some leave an everlasting impression on our mind. One such great - caring and loving person who came in my life was Mrs. Vimal Purohit- who was affectionately called Imma by everyone. Three days ago, she left this physical world at the age of 92. Though physically she has left us, her memories will always be cherished by those who had the privilege of knowing her. 

In 1983, Dr. Sugandha Purohit called me and requested to teach a group of about fifteen students in Toledo Ohio and offered the basement of her house to be used for the classes. It was about an hour and a half away from my place, and the classes were supposed to be once a week.
That is when I first met Imma, Dr. Purohit's mother, who also wanted to continue learning Sitar, the instrument of her passion. Then, within a couple of weeks, I saw the other side of Imma's personality - the compassionate and loving side of her nature. Every hour or so she will ask if I need anything. Every couple of hours she would make some tea and snacks and tell me to take a break and insisted on having dinner before leaving.
The classes in their home continued for about fifteen years. 
Imma was a great cook. Week after week, I enjoyed delicious north and south Indian dishes she used to prepare for lunch and dinner. But more than the food, it was that look in her eyes - the look of motherly love and the way she cared. She did not have to do any of those things, yet she did all those things selflessly - out of love. And that was the most valuable thing for me. 
She was brought up with South Indian cultural traditions which she continued to follow while living in the USA as well. She spoke Marathi, Telugu, and Hindi fluently - had learned Kannada and had enough knowledge to communicate in English as well. Twice a year, on the day of Guru-Poornima and my birthday, she along with her daughters, arranged a get-together with all the students (about 20 by then) and told everyone to pay respect by touching my feet. However, when she wanted to touch my feet, I asked her not to do that. 
"You are like my mother," I said. 
"But you are my guru too." She said. "At least today - on the day of Guru-Poornima you must let me do it."
That showed how strong her cultural background was. 
Meeting such wonderful people in life is always a great privilege and good fortune. My only regret is that I was never able to do anything to repay her love and kindness towards me. But her sweet memories will always be cherished in my heart. 
May the Almighty Lord bless her and give strength to her family to bear this loss. 
                                        'Rajan Sachdeva'


5 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss Rajan ji .... it’s clear she was a wonderful person. May she Rest In Peace 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this GUru ji.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ache insaan sbko nhi mil pate like Imma in your life.
    You are also an inspirational person in our lives.
    Bless you so that we will able to learn something new from you always in our lives

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saints like Imma live on in our hearts and encourage us to strive to do better.

    ReplyDelete

Itnay Betaab kyon hain - Why so much restlessness?

 Itnay betaab - itnay beqaraar kyon hain  Log z aroorat say zyaada hoshyaar  kyon hain  Moonh pay to sabhi dost hain lekin Peeth peechhay d...