Saturday, September 15, 2018

One Step Towards Changing the world we live in

Yesterday, someone asked me why do I spend so much time writing blogs. 
“Do you really think it will make any difference?” He asked.
I felt dismayed and disappointed for a moment - but then I remembered the following story.
You too, may have heard this story before, but I think it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of it every once in a while.  

One day, an old man was walking along a beach that was littered with thousands of starfish that had been washed ashore by the high tide. As he walked, he came upon a young boy who was eagerly throwing the starfish back into the ocean, one by one.
Puzzled, the man looked at the boy and asked what he was doing. 
Without looking up from his task, the boy simply replied, “I’m saving these starfish, Sir”.
The old man chuckled aloud, “Son, there are thousands of starfish and only one of you. 
What difference can you make?”
The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. 
Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

We all have the opportunity to help create some positive changes, but sometimes we find ourselves thinking, 
“How much of a difference can I really make?”  
Especially when we’re talking about addressing some massive social or cultural problems that we see around,
this thought pops up all the time in our mind – “What difference can I make as an individual”? 
So, when I find myself thinking that way, it helps me to continue trying when I remember the above story. 
I might not be able to change the entire world, 
but at least I can try to change a small part of it - and might be able to help a few, if not many.  
Some people might say that there are so many overwhelming challenges before us now – too many to handle. 
Let’s take one challenge at a time - like the above story says, one starfish at a time - and gradually, we might be able to bring the change we want. 
               'Rajan Sachdeva'


5 comments:

  1. Amazing thank you always for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had the good fortune of attending congregation in indianapolis. All through the weekend the entire congregation kept speaking about how one saint made a difference in their life. That saint left his mortal form 2 years ago and yet the entire congregation spoke about him and pointed out how that “1” saint connected them to sangat and Gursikhi ....

    “The power of “1” saint cannot be underestimated” this is what I learned in Indianapolis ....

    Rajan ji, I hope and pray that you keep writing, these blogs are guiding a lot of us and are creating a big impact in my life 🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts have brought clarity and understanding to me and your poems have brought changes into my life. You inspired me to go upon this journey myself and experience the things you share... These posts are priceless to me and I constantly go back and read posts from years back. Please keep guiding me. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am that starfish, who is getting benifit of it

    ReplyDelete

Itnay Betaab kyon hain - Why so much restlessness?

 Itnay betaab - itnay beqaraar kyon hain  Log z aroorat say zyaada hoshyaar  kyon hain  Moonh pay to sabhi dost hain lekin Peeth peechhay d...