Wednesday, March 14, 2018

When my daughter made me Cry

While visiting my mother's home town Kotkapura in Punjab - this morning I read a short Hindi story written by Nidhi Oberoi in a local Hindi paper 'Madhurima' - which really touched me deeply and thought of sharing it..

The following is my version in English based on Nidhi Oberoi's story:

                         "My daughter made me cry"

One day, my grown up daughter suddenly asked me:
"Papa, have I ever made you cry?"
I said yes.
She was surprised – "When? How?"
"When you were about one year old. One day, you were crawling on the floor.
I placed some coins, a pen and a toy at a little distance from you and sat down on the other side.
I wanted to see which object you will choose. Your choice would have indicated what you will value more in your life. "
"How"? She asked.
"Choice of book or pen would have indicated that you would value education in your future life – choosing coins would mean wealth, and toys would mean entertainment and joy."
"And what did I choose?" she asked enthusiastically.
"You stared at everything for a moment – crawled towards them and looked at everything again.
Then suddenly you pushed them aside and crawled through those objects and came straight towards me – grabbed my hand and sat in my lap with a big smile on your face.
Suddenly, at that moment I realized that I had given you only three objects to choose from - a coin, a pen and a toy - but you were looking at four things. The fourth choice in your mind was me –
and you chose me over everything else.
Tears started to flow out of my eyes and I could not stop crying".

2 comments:

Reason for Suffering

We suffer because we think -  that things should be different than what they are. However, every time, everything may not happen the way we ...