Saturday, April 13, 2024

A Beautiful Prayer about Growing Old

This morning, I received a Beautiful Prayer about Growing Old.
After reading and enjoying this prayer, I tried to search for the original author.
However, I found quite a few different versions of this prayer.
While its origin is obscure, some believe it represents a 17th-century nun - an unnamed Mother Superior.
Nonetheless, It's a beautiful prayer, and we can learn so much from it to make our lives more accepting and peaceful.
             ' Rajan Sachdeva '
                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                 A PRAYER

“Lord, I know that I am growing older, and will someday be old.

Keep me from becoming talkative and possessive 
Free me from the idea that I must express myself on every subject 
and free me from the fatal habit of thinking that I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to try to straighten out everybody’s affairs.
Keep me from the recital of endless details - give me wings to get to the point.

Seal my lips when I am inclined to tell of my aches and pains.
They are increasing with the years, and my love to speak of them grows sweeter as the days go by.

Restrain me from telling what I have done for others, 
instead let me count my blessings in silence. 
Teach me the glorious lesson, that occasionally I may be wrong.

Make me thoughtful, but not moody and nosey - helpful but not bossy.
Keep me reasonably sweet.

Give me the ability to see the good things in unexpected places and talents in unexpected people. And, give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.

With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all —
but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.”

                                          (Courtesy of Dr. V. Bajaj)


9 comments:

  1. Grow old along with me!
    The best is yet to be,
    the last of life,
    for which the first was made.
    Our times are in his hand who saith, 'A whole I planned,
    youth shows but half;
    Trust God: See all, nor be afraid!
    - Robert Browning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wedding anniversary wish inspired from above poem:
      Come grow old with me,
      The best is yet to be.

      Delete
  2. An explanation and advice for growing old

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rev. Rajan Jì. What a beautiful and wonderful Prayer and full of words of wisdom. Thanks very much for sharing this Jì. Keep on Blessing always Jì. Dhan Nirankar Jì.🙏🌹

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent saintly prayer ji.🙏
    Jaidev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Full of grace and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe this prayer applies at any age not just growing old 🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dhan Nirankarji RV
    Great wisdom throughout life!

    ReplyDelete

Reason for Suffering

We suffer because we think -  that things should be different than what they are. However, every time, everything may not happen the way we ...