Bai Juyi was an important government official during the Tang Dynasty in China.
On one occasion, he sought essential instructions in the Dharma from a monk.
"I want to know the most profound and fundamental statement of the Buddha".
He asked.
The monk quoted a summary of the doctrine that the Buddha Shakyamuni offered:
"Avoid evil - Do good - and Purify your mind”.
Bai Juyi was not impressed.
"Even a three-year-old child knows these words.
The monk replied,
" Yes! A three-year-old child knows these words,
But in reality, even the elders of eighty still have not put them into practice."
(From the web)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Michhami Dukkadam मिच्छामी दुक्कड़म
I ask your forgiveness if I ever hurt you with any of my words, actions, or thoughts. Michhami Dukkadam is an ancient traditional Jain phra...
-
बाख़ुदा -अब तो मुझे कोई तमन्ना ही नहीं फिर ये क्या बात है कि दिल कहीं लगता ही नहीं सिर्फ चेहरे की उदासी से भर आए आँसू दिल का आलम तो अ...
-
मध्यकालीन युग के भारत के महान संत कवियों में से एक थे कवि रहीम सैन - जिनकी विचारधारा आज भी उतनी ही प्रभावशाली है जितनी उनके समय में थी। कव...
-
Koi Urooj De Na Zawaal De, Mujhe Sirf Itana Kamaal De Mujhe Apni Raah Mein Daal De, Ki Zamaana Meri Misaal De Teri Rehmaton Ka Nuzoo...
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on instructions on Dharma
ReplyDeleteSo true. I remember Satguru Babaji in his vichar in Toronto said “Having good intentions is not enough. We must act on them.”
ReplyDeleteHarsh realty.
ReplyDelete