Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Meaning of Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्) is an ancient Indian phrase from Prakrit language. 
It literally means "may all the evil that has been done (by me) be fruitless."

It is used widely in the Jain religion on the last day (Samvatsari or Kshamavani) of Paryushana, the most important annual holy event of the Jain calendar.

Michchhami means to be fruitless (forgiven), and Dukkadam (Dushkrut) means bad deeds. 
Therefore the meaning of Michchhami Dukkadam is - my bad deeds (towards you) be fruitless.
The Sanskrit version of the phrase is - 'Mithyā me duṣkṛitām' -meaning - may my wrong actions be in vain. Or simply put - May my misdeeds be undone and forgiven. 

So the concept behind saying or writing to someone Michchhami Dukkadam is that if I have offended you in any way through my speech or action -  if I have ever caused any harm to you, then may those actions be fruitless - be forgiven.  

There is another beautiful Sutra (aphorism) asking for forgiveness with the unity of thought, speech, and action. 

                Khamemi Savvay Jeeva, Savvay Jeeva khamantu may
                Mitti may Savva bhueshu, Vairam majjham na kenaai. 

Meaning: 
I forgive all the Jeevas - all living beings of the universe - 
May all the Jeevas - all living beings forgive me for my faults.
I see all the living beings of the universe as my friends.
I do not have enmity with anyone. 

Regardless of from which religion or culture it comes from, it is a beautiful concept. 
Asking for forgiveness with humility and sincerity - with true feelings is the beginning of the process of shedding our Karmas.  
                                          Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ 
                                               'Rajan Sachdeva'

2 comments:

Reason for Suffering

We suffer because we think -  that things should be different than what they are. However, every time, everything may not happen the way we ...