Thursday, September 12, 2019

Sometimes in the dark of the night, I visit my conscience

Sometimes in the dark of the night,
I visit my conscience  
To see if it is still breathing,
For its dying a slow death
Every day.

When I pay for a meal in a fancy place
An amount which is perhaps the monthly income 
Of the guard who holds the door open.
And quickly I shrug away that thought,
It dies a little.

When I buy vegetables from the vendor, 
And his son "chhotu" smilingly weighs the potatoes,
Chhotu, a small child, who should be studying at school.
I look the other way
It dies a little.

When I am decked up in a designer dress,
A dress that cost a bomb 
And I see a woman at the crossing,
In tatters, trying unsuccessfully to save her dignity. 
And I immediately roll up my window.
It dies a little. 

When I buy expensive gifts for my children, 
On return, I see half-clad children, 
With empty stomach and hungry eyes, 
Selling toys at the red light.
I try to save my conscience by buying some, yet
It dies a little. 

When my sick maid sends her daughter to work, 
Making her bunk school 
I know I should tell her to go back. 
But I look at the loaded sink and dirty dishes, 
And I tell myself that is just for a couple of days 
It dies a little. 

When I hear about a rape
or the murder of a child,
I feel sad, yet a little thankful that it's not my child
I can not look at myself in the mirror,
It dies a little. 

When people fight over caste creed and religion
I feel hurt and helpless
I tell myself that my country is going to the dogs,
I blame the corrupt politicians, 
Absolving myself of all responsibilities 
It dies a little. 

When my city is choked
Breathing is dangerous in the smog-ridden metropolis,
I take my car to work daily,
Not taking the metro, not trying carpool. 
One car won't make a difference, I think 
It dies a little. 

So when in the dark of the night,
I visit my conscience 
And find it still breathing 
I am surprised. 
For, with my own hands 
Daily, bit by bit, I kill it, I bury it.

         Author: Unknown

Note: Lately this poem has been credited to Late Ram Jethmalani 

5 comments:

  1. wow...so honest! Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajanji, Unfortunately it is sad and true. It was heartbreaking and tearjerker. But very true and I hope we can all change ourselves a little.
    Thank you for reminding us too.
    Sudha Saraswat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rev.Rajan Sachdeva Ji.

    Every word of this poem is so deep, it urge our conscience to think about the feelings of others before practicing any action which hurts others.


    Thanku so much for showing us positive and right direction .

    Always keep your blessings on us.


    Ashish Dutta.

    ReplyDelete

Reason for Suffering

We suffer because we think -  that things should be different than what they are. However, every time, everything may not happen the way we ...